Therapeutic and Inclusive Recreation Services
Therapeutic and Inclusive Recreation Services staff provide Therapeutic Recreation programs for youth, teens and adults with disabilities, and inclusive programs and services for participants of all abilities. Our staff also promote safe and successful recreation participation in all Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation programs through education, advocacy and program support.
Annual assessments are required for participation in Therapeutic Recreation programs. You may contact a Therapeutic Recreation staff member through our TR Info Line at at 980-314-1192 or email: [email protected] for program information or to set up an assessment appointment.
Summer Camp registration will open in early Spring 2024.
Take Our TIRS Customer Satisfaction Survey
The recreational therapy/therapeutic recreation internship program is a hands on, in person internship experience that meets NCTRC Internship Requirements for certification as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS). The National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) outlines specific requirements for internships:
- Duration: The internship experience must be a minimum of 560 hours and span 14 consecutive weeks.
- Focus: The internship should involve therapeutic recreation (TR) services and utilize the TR process as defined by the current NCTRC Job Analysis.
- Supervision: Interns are supervised by both academic and agency supervisors who are certified by NCTRC.
Upcoming internship opportunities for 2024 and application periods are listed below:
- Internship beginning in January (Spring Semester 2024): August 1, 2023 - September 30, 2023
- Internship beginning in August (Fall Semester 2024): March 1, 2024 - April 30, 2024
Internship Application Documents
Students interested in applying are asked to electronically submit the following documents to [email protected].
Temporary non-lifeguard application packet and the intern application supplemental questionnaire
Resume, cover letter and 2-3 letters of reference (one academic, 1-2 professional)
And any required application agreement paperwork from your college/university with your application